Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Mastering the Great Table

My blogging has been a little slow for the last couple of days, but this time there's a good reason - over the weekend I completed the edits for my new book, Mastering the Great Table. This is the second volume of my Mastering Enochian Magick series and presents a similar setup to the one I put together for the Heptarchial angels, but for the various Watchtower entities such as the Kings and Seniors, sub-quadrant angels, and cacodemons. My editor has now signed off on the final version of the manuscript so the layout and so forth are being worked on right now. I don't have a firm publication date, but I'll let you all know as soon as the new book is available.

This new book is also probably going to be more controversial than the last one. Not a lot has been written on the Heptarchia Mystica, which as I noted in the first book is a largely forgotten part of Dee's Enochian system. The Great Table, on the other hand, has been explored by many different magical groups and there are a lot of different takes out there, from the Golden Dawn system to that practiced by Dee purists. As in the first book, I present the material from a largely purist perspective, but with a template that can also accommodate Golden Dawn-style ritual forms adapted from Aleister Crowley's Liber O vel Manus et Sagittae.

Treatment of the Aethyrs and Parts of the Earth will be reserved for volume three, tentatively titled Mastering the Thirty Aires. I'm also thinking about putting together a fourth book of "advanced" techniques based on some of the experimental work I've done with my Enochian system over the years. About the only thing I'm sure about is that it won't be called "Advanced Enochian Magick" because there have already been two books published with that title, one from the Schuelers years ago and another by Frater W.I.T. I'll keep you all posted on that as it develops.

Technorati Digg This Stumble Stumble

2 comments:

Hypnovatos said...

Do you discuss your choice on which iteration of the Great Tablet you have chosen to be the correct one and why? That has always been my biggest sticking point. Of course, someone using a different letter layout for the tablet would not need to negate anything in your book, but simply using their layout with your information and techniques, but just curious on your take.

Scott Stenwick said...

Yes, I do get into that.

I use the 1587 tabula recensa (without the "Tyson flip") on the grounds that (1) it was the final version that Dee and Kelley received and (2) the probability testing that I did years ago with the various iterations showed that it produced a greater shift than any of the others. That's the version shown at the top of this article.

Of course, as you say, you can always modify what I have in the book to fit the Golden Dawn version or some other arrangement of the tablets.